Glad you’re here. This shows you care. Okay, let’s start. Amidst this coronavirus outbreak, being cognizant of fomites is of prime importance.
First, let’s understand what is the definition of fomites.
A fomite is an inanimate object contaminated with infectious material that may transmit diseases, such as clothes, utensils, door handles, banisters, water tap, water bottles, and the list is endless.
Too scientific? Let me put it in a simple way:
Fomites are objects or materials such as clothes, utensils, etc which are likely to carry bacteria or viruses.
So, if you go out, there are high chances that coronavirus can get onto your clothes or if you touch a water bottle, you got your hands dirty with the virus.
Increase in population growth and mobility have enhanced viral transmission through fomites and escalated the difficulty in interrupting infection spread. The coronavirus outbreak is an example.
Contaminated fomites are the secondary reason (first being human transmission) in the spread of viral infections.
But the risks of fomite transmission can be reduced by the process of sanitization and sterilization.
How to prevent fomites:
1. By now we all are used to it; Washing your hands. Wash your hands and open body parts every time you come to your home from outside. Better take a bath.
2. Wash your clothes regularly and let them dry in sun. Try to wash the clothes immediately after coming from outside.
3. Do not let humidity stay in your surroundings. Most viruses live longer in humidity.
4. Don’t touch any object which you’re not aware of or you don’t want to buy if you’re in the superstore.
5. During this All-India lockdown time, if you’ve ordered something, there are good chances that the objects or commodities are fomites.
It’s better to sanitize or wash those products before using them. Also, in the end, don’t forget to wash your hands.
6. Sanitize your home with disinfectant. Like door handles, balcony railings, water tap, etc on regular intervals.
7. Last but not least. If you find it worth, click on the left icons and share this among your friends/loved ones. I guess this is better than sharing memes.
Stay safe, stay home.